Saturday, September 09, 2006

Internet at home is hosed.

So my roommate and I last year spent some time making this elaborate (Rube Goldbergian, if you will) system to get free internet at home. It consists of a home-brew high-gain antenna carefully placed on the roof which is fed into a wireless-B bridge, then a wireless-G router, both of which have their MAC addresses spoofed to trick the VT wireless LAN to think it's my laptop. The antenna we made consists of a DTV reflective satellite dish and a circular waveguide feed point made from, well... an old can of soup.

Anyway, sometime over the summer the signal cut out. Last week I found out why:


Needless to say I was rather surprised when I climbed on the roof to investigate. Anyone know what the RF characteristics of a nest of 30 hornets is? I'm betting not good.

1 Comments:

At 8:12 PM , Blogger Suze said...

gah! are you going to get rid of them?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home