Tuesday, October 03, 2006

In loving memory

Last monday I went home in the afternoon to play the keyboard in the garage. After about 10 minutes I stepped outside to find Cheech, my roommate Dan's gray cat, lying on the ground. Except for hyperventilating, he was not moving; nor was he blinking or responding to me in any way. I gave Dan a call and took Cheech inside and laid him on the ottoman. He's had health problems in the past, but nothing like erratic breathing or complete unresponsiveness. Dan called several vets, but couldn't get an appointment for another couple of hours. By this time he had clamed down... but someho I could tell this wasn't a good sign. I left for a meeting at school and upon returning home, Dan told me Cheech hadn't made the trip to the vet. He informed me that eventually he just grabbed Cheech to take him to the vet's office regardless of his later appointment, but that he stopped breathing in his arms before he could get the car out of the driveway.

Cheech had a good life, aside from a recurring embolism in his back that periodically caused his hind legs to not function. He lived his six years chasing birds and being admired by everyone with whom he came in contact. On cold winter nights he would curl up on my lap, my bed, or (failing those) lie directly on the heater vent, taking the room's heat for himself. His exact cause of death is unknown, and is buried in our back yard. His was loved and will be missed dearly.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM , Blogger Suze said...

you told me about this already on the phone, but it's still so sad. i'm all teary. may he rest in peace.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home