Wednesday, June 14, 2006

So many reasons to remember today.

Today my Canadian friend Chanda left to join the Peace Corps for two years in the Cameroon so I'm going to throw a few photos of us up here on the blog. I haven't really known her that long; maybe three months, but we hit it off as friends right away. I'm glad to know her; hopefully we'll meet again.


at the crossdressing party



on our redneck fishing adventure with José



in some stranger's bathroom


Each of these pictures has a pretty good story behind it and could easily fill up this blog, but I'll save that to another day.

Today is my friend Julia's birthday. She's on the road to New York City, so I can't wish her a happy birthday in person, but I can in the virtual world.

Also today Germany's soccer team defeated Poland in the 2006 World cup. I wonder what would happen if they were to win. As you may know, most Germans have no sense of nationalism. Very much the opposite of the United States where we celebrate for a week if our Olypic curling team were to take home the bronze. What was that? Did you say something? Sorry, I couldn't hear you over all these flags flapping in my face. This is only exacerbated by the fact that we actually have a holiday to celebrate flags. It's called Flag Day. And it's today, actually.

But Germany has been very different from us ever since the end of the Second World War. I have several German friends who can attest that waving their flag in the street to celebrate victory is thought of as a shameful act. Some think that it's time to put the humiliation of WWII behind them. I think winning the World Cup on your own soil would be reason enough for any country to celebrate.

Not that we (the US of A) really have to worry about looking like fools dancing in the streets, though. It's not like we're going to win the cup. We were shut out by the Czech Republic.

***

Ok, so I haven't done laundry in a laundromat in four years. And now I remember how nice it is to have a washer and dryer. I'm actually sitting in my car typing this on my laptop because there are so many mosquitos in the stupid building that I can't even sit down. Said laundromat is next to a corner liquor store, and I'm watching someone standing outside smoking a cigarette in violent, jerky motions. I can't imagine this person working in the store, so the only explanation I can give for him standing outside if is that he's going to finish the pack of cigarettes he just bought so that he can go right back inside and buy another.

Now he's coughing and spitting on the ground.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be addicted to something that kills you as slowly as cigarettes do.

Happy Flag Day, everyone.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM , Blogger Suze said...

you really do look stunning in green.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home