Friday, June 23, 2006

There once was a man from... (Part III)

Sunday, June 18



There's a wonderful breakfast coffeehouse just down the road from my campsite in Brewster aptly named "Brewster Coffee Shop." It's 6:30 in the morning and I'm enjoying a fresh cup of coffee, ready to hit the road to Hyannis. Yesterday when I saw this place on the road I was afraid they wouldn't be open this early. I'm still amazed that people will surrender themselves at this hour of the day. Personally, I haven't been up this early since, well... I guess since I drove up to Massachusetts last month. It really is a fantastic day to do what I'm doing... it's just my luck, though, that I'd get flat tire.

***

Ok, so while I'm enjoying an early lunch of Quahog chowder and caesar salad with anchovies at a cafe on the island, let me bring you up to speed on today's adventures so far. The ferry ride was rather upsetting; the plan was to fix my bike tire on the way over with the patch kit I brought with me. The problem is that the boat travels up to 40mph and is pretty far out to sea, so the wind made it, well, challenging. To say the least. I tried applying the rubber cement to the tire, but the goop whipped around in the air like it was coming out of a hose. The patch itself needed to fit over the valve stem, so I needed to cut a hole in it. Holding the kit box down with one foot and my tire pump with the other, squeezing the wheel between my legs, clamping the valve cap down in my teeth, I then attempted to cut a hole in the patch with my pocket knife, pressing it against the floor of the boat...

Needless to say it was a lost cause. By the end of it my hands were black from the tire, I had glued my fingers together, and I was bummed.

However, within minutes of landing I realized that this was all pointless. There must have been six bicycle shops in a row on the street leading from the wharf. I found the one I had located online just yesterday and asked the salesman if besides renting bicycles they also did repairs. They did. Hallelujah. There is a God.

I ended up buying two new tubes... just in case.

So this cafe at which I'm currently dining is located on the east side of the island, about 10 miles from the main town on the Polipis bike path. The town, Siasconset (affectionately known as 'sconset), is gorgeous, comprised mostly of cottages and B&Bs.



The bike ride over here wasn't too bed either: on my right were bogs where cranberries grew while on my left were fields, partially used for a golf course, but overlooking the Sankaty Light House.



Of course after lunch I'll have to get a closer look. Before I came here I had maybe half-a-dozen things planned, but after talking with some of the locals I'll be lucky to get everything done in just one day. I'm just so thrilled that this trip is working out so wonderfully.

To be concluded...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home